The two-year baking & pastry arts program prepares students for a wide variety of entry level to mid-level positions in the baking and pastry industry. It combines a foundation of baking & pastry and management skills the industry demands, in addition to a curriculum that incorporates opportunities to learn and work in a student-operated bakery. The program introduces students to the basic philosophies of the food service industry and offers the student a well-rounded academic experience that prepares the student for a successful career as a foodservice professional. This program provides all of the educational components required for the certified pastry culinarian (CPC) certification through the American Culinary Federation and upon completion of the program, graduates receive an Associate of Applied Science Degree.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Distinguish between, and successfully utilize a wide array of ingredients and baking methods to produce and/or plate, and critically analyze a variety of fundamental and contemporary baked goods, products and desserts.
- Demonstrate all costing techniques related to profitable menu design and profitable food service business operations.
- Demonstrate computer business applications and point of sale system operations as it relates to the foodservice industry.
- Demonstrate the proper ethical purchasing and procurement processes as it relates to the proper flow of goods for a successful food service operation.
- Demonstrate appropriate safety and sanitation practices and safe food service equipment operation as it relates to the hospitality industry.
- Demonstrate technical skills according to the Certified Pastry Culinarian (CPC) exam of the American Culinary Federation.
- Develop a business plan appropriate to their skills.
|CUL 101||Culinary Foundations||3|
|CUL 102||Hospitality Fundamentals||3|
|CUL 120||Introduction to Culinary Techniques||3|
|BPA 120||Introduction to Baking & Pastry||3|
|ACC 110||Business Mathematics||3|
||Business Software Essentials||3|
|CUL 114||Food & Beverage Operations||3|
|BPA 131||Bread & Rolls||3|
|CUL 151||Purchasing & Cost Control||3|
|CUL 170||Management & Supervision||3|
|ENG 101||English Composition||3|
|SPC 120||Public Speaking||3|
|CUL 220||Menu Planning||3|
|BPA 220||Advanced Baking & Pastry||3|
|BPA 233||Chocolates & Confections||3|
|BPA 240||Retail Bakery Operations||4|
|ESW 206||Basic Nutrition||3|
|BPA 253||Plated Desserts & Modern Trends||3|
|BPA 254||Tiered Cakes & Sugar Artistry||3|
|CUL 270||Culinary Entrepreneurship||3|
|Elective||Core Goal 8: Physical and Life Sciences||4|
|Elective||Core Goal 6: Intellectual Heritage,
Core Goal 9: Behavioral and Social Sciences,
Core Goal 12: Global Perspectives;
Core Goal 13: Ethical Reasoning and Behavior.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS CREDIT: 68
Modified on: 3/22/16