Board of Trustees Policy
Subject: Guidelines for Board Conduct: Standards of Good Practice
Date: September 2002
Montgomery County Community College’s Board of Trustees are committed to setting an example for the entire College community by adopting and adhering to a set of standards for good practice to guide and provide support for the effective governance of the College. The College is an active member of the American Association for Community College Trustees (ACCT). ACCT encourages its member Boards to adopt such standards and the Montgomery County Community College Board has decided to adopt ACCT’s recommended standards.
Standards of Good Practice
In support of effective community college governance, the Montgomery County Community College Board of Trustees believes:
- That it derives its authority from the community and that it must always act as an advocate on behalf of the entire community;
- That it must clearly define and articulate its role;
- That it is responsible for creating and maintaining a spirit of true cooperation and a mutually supportive relationship with its CEO;
- That is always strives to differentiate between external and internal processes in the exercise of its authority;
- That its trustee members should engage in a regular and ongoing process of in-service training and continuous improvement;
- That its trustee members come to each meeting prepared and ready to debate issues fully and openly;
- That its trustee members vote their conscience and support the decision or policy made;
- That its behavior and that of its members, exemplify ethical behavior and conduct that is above reproach;
- That it endeavors to remain always accountable to the community; and
- That it honestly debates the issues affecting its community and speaks with on voice once a decision is made.