Are you a college graduate wishing to make a career change? Maybe you're already working toward becoming a certified addictions counselor. Consider earning an Addictions Certificate from Montco.
Our 36-credit program meets the needs of beginning students as well as those experienced in the field of substance abuse.
- Understand human behavior across age groups;
- Select and apply psychological and sociological theories in intervention techniques;
- Explain and execute a micro/macro approach to the treatment and prevention of drug/alcohol abuse and addictions;
- Have the knowledge and skills needed to work in direct service at human service agencies.
During our two-semester program you will study social policies, theories of counseling and assessment techniques. You will also learn about drug and alcohol treatment plans and adjunctive therapies. Your coursework will prepare you for a human services practicum where you receive hands-on training at a community agency.
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3|
|HSW 101||Introduction to Human Services and Helping Profession||3|
|HSW 102 or HSW 202||Theories of Counseling or Theories of Individual Counseling||3|
|HSW 203||Assessment and Documentation in Human Services||3|
|HSW 205||Volunteer Administration||3|
|HSW 210||Professional Development in Human Services||3|
|HSW 211||Human Services Practicum||3|
|HSW 219||The Drug and Alcohol Treatment Process||3|
|HSW 220||Introduction to Adjunctive Therapies||3|
|PSY 217||Drugs - Their Use and Abuse||3|
|SOC 105||Social Policy and Ethics in Human Services||3|
Please note that you may have to take placement tests prior to enrolling in certain courses.
The Human Services Program is transferrable to a number of area colleges. Substitutions must be approved by the Program Coordinator.
* The Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) certifies both addiction counselors and prevention specialists. Course work from the program may fulfill a portion of those PCB requirements. The PCB requires Certified Addictions Counselors to complete additional hours of continuing education and training for recertification. Selected courses from this HSW program may be used for part of this requirement. For further information regarding education requirements for recertification, contact PCB at 717-540-4455.