To serve and protect
Since 1973 the Municipal Police Academy has provided basic (Act 120) and mandatory (Act 180) training for law enforcement professionals. Programs are held at Central Campus in the new, state-of-the-art Health Sciences Center.
As a cadet in our full-time program, you will learn the social, legal, political and ethical contexts under which police services are provided. You also will develop the technical and physical competencies needed to work in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. After you successfully completing training and state-mandated certification exam, you will be able to enforce motor-vehicle and criminal laws as well as jurisdictional ordinances for individual police agencies.
To pass the program, you must:
- Have a 100% attendance record
- Successfully complete physical conditioning requirements
- Pass 27 written exams
To be recommended for certification under the provision of Pennsylvania Act 120, you must earn a minimum score of 80 in each program module.
The Academy is certified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through the Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission. We offer two full-time cohorts per year, January–June and July–December. Classes are held Monday through Friday during the day, plus Sundays on the firearms range.
Admissions to ACT 120 (Basic) Training
Requirements and Process
If you plan to enroll in the ACT 120 (Basic) Training Program, and are not a sworn police officer, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 20 years old;
- Not been convicted of a crime punishable by more than one (1) year's imprisonment;
- Not been convicted of any offense that would preclude a person from carrying a firearm under "The Uniform Firearms Act;"
- Attained a high school diploma or GED;
- Successfully completed a Physical Fitness pre-test;
- Successfully completed a reading comprehensive examination, a psychological examination administered by the Police Academy, and a physical exam;
- Successfully completed an oral interview.
How to apply
- Complete an application and submit with all required forms to the Municipal Police Academy.
- Submit Criminal History Records Check Form with fee payment to the Pennsylvania State Police.
- Arrange for a medical examination by a board-certified physician.
- Complete reading comprehension and physiological examinations.
- Complete an oral interview.
- Complete Uniform Firearms Act Training Questionnaire.
Physical fitness pre-test
Per Municipal Police Officers Education Training Commission mandate, you are required to take a four-step physical fitness test. This consists of:
|1.5 mile run (outdoor course) to be completed within 13 minutes 15 seconds|
|1 minute sit-ups – 35 reps|
|Bench press 93% of body weight|
|300 meter run (outdoor course) to be completed within 62.1 seconds|
Scores are based on a male, between the ages of 18-29. If you are 30 + and/or a female, results will be adjusted according to the Cooper Institute of Aerobic Research.
The pre-test is scored at the 30th percentile; however, if accepted into the Academy Program, your final test will be at the 50thpercentile.
If you are not currently physically active, we strongly suggest that you immediately begin a fitness program. If you fail in any one area, you will be disqualified from candidacy.