Fascinated by mapping and the capture, manipulation and analysis of geographic information? Consider earning a GIS Operations Certificate of Completion. In just three courses and nine credits you will learn how to operate geographic information systems (GIS) while using ESRI's cutting edge ArcGIS software.
- Articulate in writing Geographic Information System (GIS) concepts, components, and requirements; and spatial analytic processes, cartographic design processes, and their results;
- Evaluate in writing various data sources’ resolution, timeliness, availability and utility, and various map projections, map symbols, and GIS map products;
- Geo-code street addresses and latitude/longitude coordinates, and demonstrate knowledge of other geo-coding systems including Universal Transverse Mercator, State Plane Coordinate Systems, U.S. Public Lands Survey, and image geo-referencing;
- Predict local risks and resources by conducting geographic analysis through selection by location, intersection and union overlays, cluster analysis, absolute and relative distance measures, and surface interpolation in GIS;
- Apply “best” design standards for a variety of map symbols, through the design, compilation, and production of thematic maps that are physiologically accessible and psychologically meaningful.
By the end of the program you will not only have a certificate but also an electronic
portfolio of your mastery of GIS.
|GEO 210||Introduction to GIS||3|
|GEO 220||Map Design in GIS||3|
|GEO 230||GIS Applications Workshop||3|