Mass Media - Mass Media Production
Master the technical and conceptual skills needed to compete in the digital media world in our Mass Media–Production associate degree program. Our program provides hands-on experience in writing and reporting news, shooting, directing and producing digital films and other forms of web, television and radio content.
- Apply effectively the essential communication skills, including reading, writing, speaking, listening and visual image creation;
- Explain the history, theory and practical applications of mass communication;
- Apply professional, legal, and ethical principles of communication to diverse audiences and contexts;
- Distinguish the various tasks and ongoing development requirements performed by communication professionals in a rapidly changing environment;
- Apply rhetorical analysis and media literacy skills to advance civic responsibility and an understanding of communication in a free society.
You will work independently and in small groups in the field and in our digital editing labs. You'll also work closely with experienced faculty to create professional content. After graduating, you may transfer to a four-year institution and continue your studies in television, radio, recording, film and emerging media. You may also enter the marketplace as a news writer, production assistant, camera operator and entry-level reporter.
General Education Requirements
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3|
|ENG 102||English Composition II||3|
|ENG 165 or ENG 238||Journalism I or The Literary Vision of Film||3|
|CMS 120||Public Speaking||3|
|MAT 106, MAT 130 or MAT 131||Mathematics Applications, Probability and Statistics or Introduction to Statistics I||3 - 4|
|PSY 101||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|Elective||Scientific Reasoning Elective||3 - 4|
|Elective||ANT 104, SOC 101, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 203, HIS 205 or POL 124||3|
|Elective||Any Literature, Music, Dance or Theatre course***||3|
|Elective||ART 101, ART 102, ART 103, ART 104, ART 107, ART 108, ART 148, ART 151 or ART 155||3|
|MSP 107||Introduction to Video Production and Literacy||3|
|MSP 111||Mass Media and Society||2|
|MSP 125 or MSP 126||Introduction to Broadcast Writing or Introduction to Scriptwriting||3|
|MSP 200||Ethics, Responsibility, Mass Media and the Law||3|
|MSP 291||Mass Media Capstone||3|
|MSP or SRT Elective||MSP 225, MSP 230, MSP 235, MSP 268, MSP 278 or SRT 250||3|
|SRT 104||Sound Recording Technology||3|
|Elective*||Electives||9 - 11|
Total Program Credits: 60-63
***Any TAOC approved Literature, Music, Dance or Theatre
*See advisor for specific course information/recommendations.