Summer Strings Camp
School is out for the summer, but that doesn't mean you have to put down your string instrument! Summer Strings Camp is a week long camp for students who will be in grades 6-10 during the 2022-23 school year. Campers will work on string skills and techniques while learning new and exciting music. During the week, campers will also be engaging in activities that teach and reinforce aural and written music theory skills.
Throughout the week, we will rehearse string orchestra together as an entire ensemble. At the end of the camp, we will have a concluding performance at 11 a.m. on Friday, July 15, for family and friends, showcasing the progress of our campers!
Grades: 6 to 10 (during the 2022-23 academic year)
Location: The Science Center at the Blue Bell Campus
Dates: July 11-15
Time: 7:45 a.m. to noon
Registration will be available in mid-March.
For more information, please contact Shawn Lee at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will be my child's schedule?
|7:45-8 a.m.||Community campers arrive and get ready for the day’s activities|
|8-8:30 a.m.||Campers begin tuning and warm-up's|
|8:30-9:30 a.m.||Orchestra rehearsal #1|
|9:30-10 a.m.||Theory lesson and daily activity|
|10-10:15 a.m.||Break and snack time (students provide their own snack)|
|11 a.m. to noon||Orchestra rehearsal #2|
|Noon||Dismissal at Science Center Building|
What should I pack for my child?
- Please pack your camper snacks and a water bottle.
- Music (provided by the camp)
- Prescribed EpiPens and inhalers
Do not bring:
- Electronics (phones, iPads, gaming devices)
- Valuables (jewelry, toys)
What time can I drop my child off?
Drop off is between 7:45-8 a.m. Please do not bring your child before 7:45 a.m. as supervision will not be provided.
Arrangements should be made for children to be picked up promptly at noon.
Where should my child be dropped off?
The Science Center at the Blue Bell Campus is most easily accessible from the Morris Road entrance.
Due to the current construction, campers should enter the building using the side door labeled "Public Entrance: Music, Engineering, & Blackbox Theatre." Upon entry, you will follow the hallway to Room 101.
What qualifications does your camp instructor possess?
Shawn Lee, Adjunct Professor of Strings at MCCC, will be leading the camp. In addition to being the Founder and Director of MCCC's Summer Strings Camp, Professor Lee serves as the Director of String Ensemble and Instructor of Violin and Viola, as well as Director of Orchestras at Phoenixville Area School District. He is also a Professional Development Coordinator for Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) District 12.
Professional highlights include:
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science in Music Education from Millersville University
- Master of Music Education and Instrumental Conducting, The Hartt School, University of Hartford
- Recipient of the Harold W. and Miriam W. Shaar String Award
- Conductor of the pit orchestra for a successful run of Elton John and Tim Rice's "Aida" for the All Campus Musical Organization at Millersville University
- Previous staff member at "Keep it Going" Summer Strings Camp of Westminster Conservatory at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NJ
- Serves as the Artistic Director of Phoenixville's Summer Orchestra Camp
- Five undefeated seasons and Drum Corps Associates World Championship titles with the Reading Buccaneers; three (2012, 2013, 2015) as a member and two (2018-19) as an instructor on staff.
- Much more!