|The DSST Credit-by-Exam Program is temporarily unavailable at Montco.|
The DSST Credit-by-Exam Program (formerly known as DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) is available to civilians and military personnel seeking college credit based on knowledge acquired outside of traditional classroom settings, such as from work, military experience and/or personal studies. Exams are offered in a wide variety of subjects—including Social Sciences, Math, Humanities, Business and History—and can accelerate progress toward earning your degree or certificate.
DSST Credit-by-Exam Program and Montco
Both the Blue Bell and Pottstown Campuses are considered "open" test sites, meaning we will administer DSST exams to any interested student, including those who may attend schools out of state.
Before you test
Before taking a DSST exam, gather all relevant information about your institution's DSST credit-granting policies. These policies vary among institutions concerning which CLEP examinations are acceptable for credit. It's important that you double-check before registering for a test you might not receive credit for.
- List of DSST Equivalencies
- All DSST testing is computer-based and exams are available year-round.
- You can only take two exams on any given exam date.
- DSST policy allows for exams to be repeated after a 30-day waiting period.
- All exams are scored on a scale of 200 to 500, and the recommended credit-granting score for all exams is 400, a score representative of a grade of C.
- Score Reports are available immediately upon completion of the exam.
- The institution you indicated as a score recipient will receive its copy four to six weeks after your exam is scored.
- DSST exam credits will be entered on your Montco transcript only if you are currently enrolled or have graduated from the College.
- Students with disabilities who need accommodations for DSST testing should contact the Director of Disability Services. If you have hidden disabilities, you will need to submit documentation to verify eligibility for accommodations. Approval for accommodations must be received before making an appointment to test.
The total fee for each DSST exam is $85 for the exam and a $25 administrative fee.
DSST is an approved VA National Testing Program under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The VA will reimburse the DSST exam fee of $85 and the $25 administrative fee. Reimbursement only applies to a first attempt. Any additional attempts will not be covered by the VA.
Registration and payment for the exam are completed at the testing center on the day of. Administrative fees should be paid prior to your scheduled appointment. Please double-check before registering for a test for which you might not receive credit.
Make an appointment
DSST testing is temporarily unavailable.
DSST Blue Bell Campus Testing Hours
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
DSST Pottstown Campus Testing Hours
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.