The Patricia Nestler Excellence in Creative Writing Award celebrates Montgomery County Community College students who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in Creative Writing.
To be considered for this award, students need to meet the criteria and follow the rules below, as well as submit one poem and/or one fiction works by the deadline of April 9, 2021. A prize of $500 will be awarded in each of two categories, poetry and short fiction. In the event of a tie in either category, (2) $250 awards will be presented in that category.
By 2 p.m., April 9, entries must be emailed to Dr. Patti McEnery, Assistant Academic Dean of Arts and Humanities, at email@example.com.
$500 Award for Each Category
- Student Poetry—Submit one (1) poem that do not exceed 100-line maximum.
- Student Fiction—Submit one (1) short story that do not exceed 3,000-word maximum.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Eligibility is restricted to students enrolled at Montgomery County Community College in fall 2020 and/or spring 2021.
- Students must have taken at least one Creative Writing course at the College or a transfer college and be in good academic standing.
- Students cannot receive the Creative Writing Award more than once in the same category.
- Each student must enter the appropriate category. Only one entry per category is permitted. Do not submit part of one entry in the other category. All works must be original.
- Submissions should be typed on 8 1/2” x 11” paper and double-spaced with Times New Roman, 12 point font and one-inch margins. Emailed submissions should be sent as attachments.
- Name, address, email address, and phone number must be on a separate title page, along with the category letter entered ("A" for poetry and "B" for fiction). Students must also include their MCCC student identification number and list the semester and location of where they completed their creative writing course.
- All subsequent pages will show, on the upper right hand corners, the entry title, underneath which will appear the last four digits of the phone number previously listed on the title page. The student’s name is not to appear on any page other than the title page.
- Winners will be notified by email.
No entries will be returned.