The Patricia Nestler Excellence Award in Creative Writing celebrates Montgomery County Community College students who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in Creative Writing.
To be considered for this award, students need to meet the criteria and follow the rules below, as well as submit 2 poems and/or 2 fiction works by the deadline of February 28, 2020. A prize of $500 will be awarded in each of two categories, poetry and short fiction. In the event of a tie in either category, (2) $250 awards will be presented in that category.
By 2 p.m., February 28, entries must be emailed to Dr. Patti McEnery, Assistant Academic Dean of Arts and Humanities, at email@example.com or submitted under the door of her office, 447 Parkhouse Hall.
Mailed entries should be sent to Dr. Patti McEnery, Assistant Academic Dean of Arts and Humanities, Montgomery County Community College, 340 DeKalb Pike, Blue Bell, PA 19422-0758. Entries must be postmarked no later than Monday, February 24.
$500 Award for Each Category
- Student Poetry—Submit 2 poems that do not exceed 100-line maximum.
- Student Fiction—Submit 2 short stories that do not exceed 3,000-word maximum.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Eligibility is restricted to students enrolled at Montgomery County Community College in fall 2019 and/or spring 2020.
- Students must have taken at least one Creative Writing course at the College or a transfer college and maintained a course GPA of 3.0.
- Students cannot receive the Creative Writing Award more than once in the same category.
- Each student must enter the appropriate category. Only 2 entries per category are permitted. Do not submit part of one entry in the other category. All works must be original.
- Submissions should be typed on 8 1/2” x 11” paper and double-spaced with Times New Roman, 12 point font and one-inch margins. Emailed submissions should be sent as attachments.
- Name, address, e-mail address, and phone number must be on a separate title page, along with the student’s current GPA and the category letter entered. Students must also include their MCCC student identification number and may include creative writing accomplishments or extracurricular activities (such as a list of publications or Writers’ Club and literary magazine activities and contributions).
- All subsequent pages will show, on the upper right hand corners, the entry title, underneath which will appear the last four digits of the phone number previously listed on the title page. The student’s name is not to appear on any page other than the title page. All pages should be numbered, and hard copy pages should be clipped together.
- Winners will be notified by e-mail, and award will be presented at the Academic Awards Ceremony.
No entries will be returned. Do not send originals.