About the assessment
The biology placement assessment may only be taken one time.
Required biology courses for students in the programs listed below have certain biology and chemistry prerequisites that must be met before you can register for those courses. These prerequisites can be met either through previous coursework at the high school and college level, or by achieving a score of at least 59 on the biology placement assessment and meeting the chemistry prerequisite requirement.
Prerequisites are valid only if taken within the last five years.
- High school chemistry, grade of C or better or;
- CHE 121 or CHE 131 or CHE 151, grade of C or better or;
- Equivalent college-level transfer course, grade of C or better
- Biology placement exam with a score of 59 or higher or;
- BIO 121, grade of C or better or;
- Equivalent college level transfer course, grade of C or better
*If you have attempted, withdrawn or completed BIO 121 within the past five years, you are not eligible to take the biology placement assessment.
Area of Study
We strongly encourage you to take the biology placement assessment if you do not otherwise meet the biology prerequisite for:
- Life Science
- Exercise Science
Also, if you are interested in admission to one of the following programs, we encourage you to take the biology placement assessment if you do not otherwise meet the biology prerequisite:
- Dental Hygiene
- Surgical Technology
- Physical Therapy Assistant
We highly recommend that you prepare for the placement assessments. It may be helpful for you to see some sample questions or to prepare using the College’s Foundational Skills Lab supplemental instructional materials.