College Prep Program
If you're a ninth-, tenth- or eleventh-grade student attending Norristown Area High School or Pottstown Senior High School, you may be eligible to participate in Upward Bound. This free college preparatory program helps you develop the skills, study habits, discipline and attitude necessary to be successful in high school and college. The program offers:
- College-prep classes
- College tours
- Cultural field trips
- Academic advising
- Financial aid advising
- Career counseling
To be eligible, you must:
- Be in ninth through eleventh grade at Norristown Area High School or Pottstown Senior High School;
- Meet family income guidelines as determined by the U.S. Department of Education;
- Be first-generation college bound (meaning neither parent has earned a bachelor's degree);
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- Show a sincere desire to improve academically;
- Demonstrate strong interest in and potential for succeeding in college;
- Be willing to participate in all Upward Bound after-school, Saturday and summer activities'
- Be open to new cultural, social, educational and recreational experiences.
Steps to apply
- Complete an application
- Request copies of your current report card and PSSA scores
- Submit two letters of recommendation from adults other than parents or relatives (such as counselors, teachers, clergy persons or other professionals)
- Write and submit a 300-word essay answering the following questions:
- What are your educational plans after you graduate from high school?
- How do you think the Upward Bound Program can help you achieve your goals?
- Give your completed application to your school counselor or mail it to:
TRIO Upward Bound Program
Student Success Center
Montgomery County Community College
340 DeKalb Pike
Blue Bell, PA 19422