College Prep Program
|The 2020 Summer Academy will be held online. Students will need to have daily access to a computer and Wi-Fi in order to fully participate.|
If you're a ninth-, tenth- or eleventh-grade student attending Norristown Area High School or Pottstown Senior High School, you may be eligible to participate in Upward Bound. This free college preparatory program helps you develop the skills, study habits, discipline and attitude necessary to be successful in high school and college. The sessions include:
- Academic advising
- A stipend (only distributed to active participants)
- Courses in career readiness, English, science and math
- Financial aid
- Social hangouts (virtual)
- College and museum tours (virtual)
To be eligible, you must:
- Be in ninth through eleventh grade at Norristown Area High School or Pottstown Senior High School;
- Meet family income guidelines as determined by the U.S. Department of Education;
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- Show a sincere desire to improve academically;
- Demonstrate strong interest in and potential for succeeding in college;
- Be willing to participate in all Upward Bound activities
- Be open to new cultural, social, educational and recreational experiences.
All Upward Bound participants are required to attend our 6-week session. The Summer Academy runs June 22 to July 31, Monday through Friday. You may be eligible to earn up to $100 based on your participation.
The Academy will be held online for summer 2020. You will need to have daily access to a computer and Wi-Fi in order to fully participate.
Steps to apply
- Complete the Upward Bound application – must be completed by all applicants, including summer participants
- Submit the Summer Academy application – must be completed by all summer applicants
- Have your parent/guardian complete the Upward Bound Parent Form
- Submit a letter of recommendation from adults other than parents or relatives (such as counselors, teachers, clergy persons or other professionals)
- Request copies of your current report card and PSSA scores
- Write and submit a 300-word essay answering the following questions:
- What are your educational plans after you graduate from high school?
- How do you think the Upward Bound Program can help you achieve your goals?
Applications and forms
- Upward Bound application – must be completed by all applicants, including summer participants
- Summer Academy application – must be completed by all summer applicants
- Parent/guardian form
- Letter of recommendation
- Photo and video release
- Release of information
- W-9 form – to be completed by the applicant