College Prep Program
The 2022 Hybrid Summer Academy applications are now open!
If you're a rising high school freshman or a current high school student at Norristown Area High School or Pottstown Senior High School, you may be eligible to participate in Upward Bound. This free college preparatory program helps you develop the skills, study habits, discipline and attitude necessary to be successful in high school and college. The sessions include:
- Academic advising
- A stipend for each event attended (only distributed to active participants)
- Courses in career readiness, English, science and math
- Financial aid and opportunities to take free college courses
- Social hangouts (virtual)
- College and museum tours (virtual)
- Free meals at events
To be eligible, new applicants must:
- Be entering ninth through eleventh grade at Norristown Area High School or Pottstown Senior High School in fall;
- Meet family income guidelines as determined by the U.S. Department of Education;
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- Show a sincere desire to improve academically;
- Demonstrate strong interest in and potential for succeeding in college;
- Be willing to participate in all Upward Bound activities
- Be open to new cultural, social, educational and recreational experiences.
To learn more about the program or to set up an appointment, email Upward Bound Director, Angela Scott Ferencin at email@example.com.
Steps to apply
If you are applying to the program for the first time, please complete all of the steps outlined below.
- Complete the Upward Bound application – must be completed by all applicants, including summer participants
- Have your parent/guardian complete the Upward Bound Parent Form
- Submit a letter of recommendation from adults other than parents or relatives (such as counselors, teachers, clergy persons or other professionals)
- Request copies of your current report card and PSSA scores
- Write and submit a 300-word essay answering the following questions:
- What are your educational plans after you graduate from high school?
- How do you think the Upward Bound Program can help you achieve your goals?
All Upward Bound participants are expected to attend our 6-week Summer Academy. You receive free meals each day and a stipend of up to $100 based on your attendance. There's also some fun summer swag!
The Summer Academy is open to current and rising ninth through eleventh-grade students. You will need access to Wifi and a computer to participate.
New and current students need to complete the Summer Academy application during the spring semester after registering for classes.
Submit the Summer Academy application
Applications and forms
- Upward Bound application – must be completed by all applicants, including summer participants
- Summer Academy application – must be completed by all summer applicants
- Parent/guardian form
- Letter of recommendation
- Photo and video release
- Release of information
- W-9 form – to be completed by the applicant
Students in the TRIO Upward Bound Program at Montgomery County Community College had the opportunity to put on lab coats and step into the role of scientists when they visited MCCC’s biotechnology classrooms in the Advanced Technology Center at the Blue Bell Campus.