Beginning in 2013-14, certain FAFSAs will be flagged for unusual enrollment history (UEH) by the U.S. Department of Education as a result of the student having received federal pell grants and/or federal direct loans at multiple institutions in recent years. Flags “2” and “3” require that the College review the student’s enrollment history to determine aid eligibility.

The Office of Financial Aid, in the process of reviewing a student’s UEH flag, will check the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for complete enrollment history (i.e., name of each school attended during the 2010-11, 2011-2, 2012-13, and 2013-14 academic years, dates of attendance, and aid received).

How to Resolve UEH

All students with UEH flag 3 and some students with UEH flag 2 will be required to submit the Unusual Enrollment History Review Form, along with their Official Academic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended during the review period. The Office of Financial Aid will review this form and all supporting documentation to determine if the student is eligible for federal student aid at Montgomery County Community College.

Decisions to approve or deny UEH flags will be based on:

  • Documentation of the extent and severity of the mitigating circumstance(s) that resulted in the failure to earn academic credit.
  • Adequacy of the resolution or planned resolution of the above circumstance(s).
  • Recommendation from academic advising.

Appealing the Ineligibility Determination

If a student has been determined by Montgomery County Community College to be ineligible for federal student aid on the basis of (or lack of) documentation, he/she may resubmit additional documentation for reconsideration.

Regaining Federal Student Aid Eligibility

Students whose aid eligibility is denied as a result of their UEH can be re-considered for federal student aid after meeting with an academic advisor and successfully completing a minimum of 12 credits that are required by their program. Successful completion is defined as a grade of C or better. Grades below C, Incompletes, and withdrawals are not considered successful completion. Students must also meet the College’s standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).