What you'll need to receive your benefits

First things first, have you applied to Montco? Once you’ve submitted your application, follow the checklist to ensure you receive your VA Education Benefits.

  1. Apply to the VA for Education Benefits at Vets.gov
    • Once the application is processed, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE will explain which benefit you have been approved for and the number of months you are entitled to.
  2. Follow the steps for admitted students.
    1. Have your military or prior college transcripts evaluated.
    2. Send a copy of your COE, DD-214 (Chapter 35 and 33 Transfer of Entitlement) and Veteran Orientation Form (PDF) to the Veterans Resource Center.
    3. Once you register, please see the Coordinator of Veterans Services for a Veteran Benefits Intent form. This form acknowledges that you have registered and that you would like to utilize your benefit for that term.

    4. We also recommend students register at eBenefits. A great resource for all veteran students, the site allows you to view your VA educational status, access documents, review your current GI Bill® usage, etc.

Every semester that you plan on using VA Benefits, you will need to submit a new Montco Veteran Benefit Intent Form. Be sure to register for courses within your degree of study. The VA will not pay for courses not affiliated with your course of study.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.