VA Benefits Educational checklist for veterans

A step-by-step guide for new students.

  1. Apply for VA Educational Benefits
    • If you are eligible for VA Education Benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) indicating your chapter benefit in the mail. This may take up to 30 days.
    • If you are approved for the Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program you must submit VA form 28-1905 in place of the COE.
  2. Apply to Montco
  3. Complete the Veterans Information form (VIF)
    • You must provide a copy of your DD-214 and COE or 28-1905 to be certified for VA Educational Benefits. This can be done electronically via the VIF or you may submit hard copies in person at the Veterans Resource Center (VRC)
  4. Assess your skills
    As you begin your education at MCCC, it is important that you start in the right classes. We will carefully evaluate your transcripts, and if applicable, standardized test scores, and certain military training/experience to see if you are exempt from taking all or some of our placement tests in reading, writing, and math. Find out if you qualify for any exemptions, and learn more about the testing process.
  5. Complete MyCareerPlan
    Log into Montco Connect and access MyCareerPlan. This online tool will incorporate your strengths and interests to determine what career paths may be best suited for you.
  6. Meet with an Advisor
    To prepare for registration, an advisor will review the results of MyCareerPlan during your meeting. They will also work with you to plan your first semester of classes. Make an appointment with an advisor.
  7. Submit the Veterans Benefit Intent form (BIF)
    In order for your VA benefits to be processed and to begin receiving payment, you must submit the Veterans Benefit Intent form (BIF) at the start of every semester.

    It's important to note that the VA will only pay for courses affiliated with your approved course of study. Be sure to register for courses within your degree or certificate of study.

  8. Pay Your Tuition
    If your VA Educational benefits do not cover 100% of your tuition and fees, set up a payment plan and spread out your tuition payments over the course of the semester. To sign up for a payment plan and/or make a payment online, log into Montco Connect and select Admissions and Payments.

    Tuition and fees can also be paid in person at Enrollment Services by credit card, money order, cash or check.

    Need additional assistance? Apply for financial aid. File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  9. Get Ready For Class

For questions, visit the Veterans Resource Center, call 215-619-7307 (Blue Bell), 610-718-1839 (Pottstown) or email

Additional resources

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.