Board of Trustees Policy
Subject: Presidential Evaluation
Date: November 2020
Supersedes: December 2019, June 2012, May 2002
Recognizing the importance of ongoing evaluation for the development and retention of exceptional leaders throughout the College and that all employees benefit professionally and personally from constructive reviews of how they exercise their responsibilities and accomplish the strategic goals of the College, the Board of Trustees establishes processes for presidential evaluation. In doing so, the Board acknowledges the importance of meeting its responsibilities, with the President, for effective College governance and leadership.
It shall be the Board’s responsibility, through the work of the Executive Committee, to ensure that it engages in a regular process of presidential evaluation. The Executive Committee, with the support of the President, will organize and conduct the process. The results should be used to identify where the President is performing well and where performance might improve and to set success goals for the President. The annual presidential evaluation will be conducted in the first calendar quarter of each academic year.
- The Board, through its Executive Committee, shall review the President’s performance annually against agreed upon goals established between the Board and the President to advance the College’s strategic and annual planning priorities.
- The Board’s Executive Committee shall take leadership in designing and developing the evaluation tool and process, in collaboration with the Board Chair and the President.
- The evaluation process should include the use of an evaluation survey reviewed and endorsed by the Board of Trustees as well as a Presidential Self-Assessment. The President will submit a self-assessment on or before September 1. From time-to-time, the Executive Committee, in collaboration with the President, may review and update the survey and the process.
- The Board Chair, in collaboration with a third party, will collect and synthesize the evaluation results and then discuss them in an Executive Session of the Executive Committee. The President will be included in these early discussions to verbally present a self-assessment.
- The annual evaluation process shall be completed in the first calendar quarter of each academic year.
- In an Executive Session of the full Board of Trustees, the Board Chair will offer a verbal summary of the highlights of the evaluation results. The Board Chair will offer a report in public session that the review was completed in accordance with Board policy.
- This process shall be elaborated upon in a separate procedural statement and periodically revised and brought to the Board for approval. The Board Chair, the Executive Committee and the President shall participate in this process.