Academic Affairs

Board of Trustees Policy

Subject: Student Withdrawal for Military Deployment or Reassignment

Number: 3.7

Date: June 2016

Supersedes: September 2014


The College is required to have a policy and appropriate procedures to assist students who must withdraw from the College due to military deployment or reassignment. This policy applies to both the active military member and his/her spouse [pursuant to PA House Bill No. 1460].


The College will provide the following options for students who have been deployed or reassigned for military service in order to appropriately maintain the student’s academic and financial records with Montgomery County Community College.

  • In the event that a student, who is a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard or other reserve component of the armed forces of the United States shall be called/ordered to active duty (including active State duty), the student and/or student’s spouse can request and receive a granted military leave of absence from Montgomery County Community College. This does not apply to active duty for training.
  • The affected student or student’s spouse shall receive a grade of “M” on their official transcript for all classes they are unable to complete due to the military leave of absence. In addition, upon release from military duty, the student or student’s spouse will be restored to the educational status enjoyed prior to the duty period, without loss of academic credits earned, scholarships or grants awarded or tuition and other fees paid prior to the commencement of military duty. At the option of the student, a refund of tuition and fees paid, or credit of tuition and fees paid toward a subsequent semester or term, will be issued.
  • Without deployment orders, the student and/or student’s spouse must follow standard College drop or withdrawal procedures. A retroactive appeal to consider a military withdrawal can be initiated upon delivery of the applicable deployment orders.
  • In accordance with the College’s Comprehensive Grading Policy, the College can also provide the student with an option to apply for a grade of “I” (Incomplete) with the course instructor. The incomplete grade (I) must be completed by the end of the semester following deployment. If the course is not completed and the student submitted a copy of the appropriate deployment orders prior to leaving, the incomplete grade (I) will be converted to a military withdrawal grade (M). If deployment orders were not submitted, the incomplete grade (I) will be converted to a failing grade (F). The student may appeal the grade and tuition considerations upon return to the College with submission of the appropriate deployment orders.


The affected student should notify the instructor(s) of the deployment. An Add/Drop/Withdraw form should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar indicating the request for military withdrawal, along with copies of all applicable deployment orders.